British Standard Locks & Your Home Insurance How Are They Related?

British Standard Locks

There are three main types of British Standard Locks regarding residential properties, these are;

  • BS3621 – Most common British Standard used by insurers, this British Standard refers to high security dead Mortise Dead Lock With A British Kite Mark BS3621locks, often referred to as Mortise locks, or Deadbolts

To be up to this British Standard a dead lock needs to be able to be dead locked and the key removed from the lock from both sides. This means that the lock can’t be opened from either side unless the person trying to gain access has the key. Usually required by insurers on detached homes.

  • BS8621 – Is a newer standard, whilst newer this standard has some appealing factors for domestic use and also some commercial applications.

With all of the security of the previously mentioned BS locks. The difference is these locks can be opened from the inside without a key. This British Standard is most commonly found in flats or multi-occupancy buildings where it is important that people are able to get out of the property quickly without the use of a key in case of a fire or other emergency. A down side to these locks is that because you don’t need a key to open it from the inside, windows and letter boxes close to the door increase risk of a break in. This is because a burglar can simply smash a window or reach through your letterbox and open your door from the inside.

Be Safe & Check Before It’s Too Late…

  •  British Standard 8621 Night LatchBS10621 – This standard allows the same specs as the previous standard of lock except these locks can be switched between being able to be opened on the inside and a secure mode in which no egress is possible.

These locks are useful because when you lock them and activate the secure mode. If someone was breaking in from a window, the same person could not use the door to escape.

How To Check With Your Insurance

You can check which British Standard your insurer requires from you by calling your home insurance provider and asking them. If you need a certain type of lock fitted to your property for insurance reasons why not call and speak to one of our trained, friendly team members. We’ll help you find out what locks you need for your home insurance. AND we can supply and fit these locks on the same day you call us! No call out fees and no VAT to pay.

How Do You Know If Your Locks Meet The British Standards

Logo of the British Standards Institution or "kite mark" as it is also knownYou’re not a locksmith and you don’t work in the insurance industry. How on earth do your insurers expect you to know what a British standard lock looks like next to a normal lock. How do you tell a normal lock from a British Standard lock? It’s actually a lot simpler than you might expect. If a lock is a British Standard lock it will have a British standard kite mark on it like the one pictured below. These are usually found on the inside of the lock as seen in the second picture. We hope this helps, and if you still have questions don’t be afraid to call and speak to our professional, and friendly team who will be able to point you in the right direction if you’re stuck.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.